- Bachelor's degree minimum, Masters or PhD preferred
- 7+ years of Chemist experience
- 5+ years of
- Experience with research and development; formulation of new products
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filling is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bending or standing on a stool as necessary.
Professional office environment. Chemist usually work in a laboratory setting to conduct experiments using a variety of substances.
The Chemist develops, improves, formulates, and creates new product lines. The Chemist evaluates product development, developing hair color, shampoos, and other consumer products and safeguards that are safe for customer usage, and ensures products meet government safety standards. The Chemist will report directly to the CEO (Owner) of the company.
Essential Duties and Key Responsibilities:
- Ability to conduct experiments and provide research results to executive team.
- Ability to understand the formation of chemical bonds between substances, the properties of products used, or research into the development of new products
- Product Development
- Ongoing development of new color and hair care products
- Process Engineering
- Research ways to improve production process for new hair color or hair care products
- Verify production processes are significant to ensure hair care product meets government guidelines
- Quality control and Regulatory Oversight
- Ability to study the composition and properties of hair color and hair care products
- Keep measurement proportions, noting reactions, combine substances in search of new information or answers to old problems.
- Understand fire, air, water, prop 65, retail regulations, and environmental safety standards and regulations.
The Chemist works in both a lab setting to conduct experiments using a variety of substances and within a professional office environment. The Chemist evaluates products to make sure they are safe and meet all U.S. Food and Drug Administration standards. Cosmetic chemists also write reports based on their research and create marketing plans.
- Ability to analyze data often used to conduct experiments
- Critical thinking skills
- Solid independent decision making abilities
- Ethical conduct
- Excellent collaboration skills.