Knowledge and Experience -
• BS degree in Chemistry with no experience or Associates degree in Science with 5 years lab experience working in a manufacturing environment.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Strong attention to detail, organization and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work independently, interpret information and make decisions for product release
• Ability to communicate effectively delivering analytical results to production
• Must be willing and able to travel up to 5%
• Ability to change Gas Cylinders
• Ability to pull Lab cart filled with 1-gallon cans of solvents approx. 75 yards
• Ability to help dump 55-gallon waste container
• Ability to walk up and down four flights of stairs
• Ability to work rotating shifts
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
Purpose of the Job -
The incumbent for this position will be responsible for carrying out chemical and physical testing safely, efficiently, and according to procedure. This position requires the candidate to work as part of a team on rotating shifts and to participate in laboratory and production activities to meet production needs and business targets for the site.
• Perform analysis using established laboratory techniques.
• Perform analysis and report results for testing of raw materials and in-process and final product samples
• Release final products based on customer specification.
• Release raw materials to production based on raw material specification.
• Lead/Assist in Non-Conforming product investigation and corrective action implementation.
• Understand problem solving and decision making using root cause analysis tools and reports.
• Active participation in EHS initiatives and compliance; including adherence to established safety, health, and environmental policies and procedures
• Provide emergency response as an Emergency Responder (first aid, CPR, and emergency response training is required)
• Establish proficiency in data management systems such as SAP and Documentum; for purposes such as COA generation, quality release, procedure review, and analysis reporting
• Responsible to maintain and follow all laboratory requirements for product controls and standard validation.
• Support Quality and Responsible Care Management Systems (ISO and RCMS)
• Responsible to maintain compliance for analytical laboratory equipment and validate instrument controls utilizing routine instrument checks through calibration, verification, and/or validation
• Follow and improve work procedures and ensure documentation of lab activities.
• Work shift schedule and provide adequate shift relief
Understand troubleshooting and root cause determination with regards to instrumentation
• Able to repair and maintain laboratory equipment
• Assist operators with problem solving/troubleshooting
• Support and adhere to the principles of the American Chemistry Council's Responsible Care®, EPA and OSHA initiatives by protecting the environment, health, safety and security of our employees, contractors, carriers, distributors, visitors, customers and neighbors.