Plans, coordinates, and participates in clinicalresearch protocols and studies. Performs a variety of complex pathologicprocedures, including autopsies and gross surgical specimen dissections.
1. Plans,coordinates, and ensures high quality performance of all pathology researchactivities.
2. Meetswith individual investigators to assist them in developing their research planrequests. Coordinates requests to determine eligibility for treatmentprotocols.
3. Assistsinvestigator in developing projected budgets for their studies.
4. Ensuresall research activities are documented in the RPS Database, and that the RPSDatabase is functional and meets the needs of the Department.
5. Coordinatesassistance from other sections of the laboratory.
6. Ensuresprocessing of research billing information.
7. Updatesresearch costing annually to provide data for fee structures.
8. Keepsthe Medical Director and anatomic pathology Supervisor/Manager apprised ofimportant events, adverse outcomes, and milestones.
9. Maintainsdatabases (e.g., Tumor Bank, Tissue Micro Array, etc.).
10. Performs surgical specimen evaluationfor routine procedures, special studies, and frozen sections. Dictates grossspecimen descriptions. Performs and directs special tissue preparationprotocols and tissue procurement for studies and banking.
11. Hires and performs performanceassessments and/or coaching sessions. Ensures effective training of routine andspecial procedures.
12. Assumes responsibility for scheduling toaccomplish research projects. Learns and performs technical procedures toensure completion of research projects.
13. Responsible for surgical bench andmorgue operations.
14. Maintains equipment, supplies, andprocedure manuals. Evaluates and recommends new products and equipment.
15. Assists in the development, management,and maintenance of a frozen tissue bank. Procures tissue for research studies.
16. Oversees PathTech duties in area ofresponsibility.
17. Communicates workflow issues, changes,and other day to day surgical bench operations.
18. Involved in anatomic pathologymanagement. Works with section management to develop short and long term goalsand plans, and modify operational protocols. Resolves operational and staffproblems or conflicts. Participates in clinical and quality improvementinitiatives.
Performs other duties as required or assigned.
ü Bachelor’s degree in science andsuccessful completion of an approved Pathologists’ Assistant program orequivalent.
Required Licensure/Certification Skills:
ü AAPA registered or eligible.