Purpose of Role: To provide consumer driven blockbuster innovation in
antiperspirants and deodorants in aerosol, roll-on, stick and all other formats.
- Formulate innovative AP and deo products for all markets under minimal supervision and direction.
- Individual should be knowledgeable in operating lab and pilot equipment as well as having thorough knowledge of factory equipment and processing procedures.
- Work effectively with Third Party Manufacturers (TPM’s). Ensure that all products meet all company requirements.
- Conduct stability testing and accurately document progress and results. Notify supervisor of potential problems and work with supervisor to resolve problems
- Formulate and test for superior product claims
- Manage projects from receipt of Product Development Request through first production.
- Understand project concept, goals, and timing.
- Formulate, test and transfer from lab pilot to factory production
- Coordinate with other groups/departments to ensure appropriate/required testing is conducted
- Document project work by maintaining detailed lab notebooks; making required Enginuity entries; issuing formulae, procedures, specifications, and INCI’s; and drafting Technical Data Sheets and completing PIPs for each assigned project.
- Complete all projects and associated tasks on time
- Knowledge of raw material physical/chemical properties. Raw material coding.
- Review formulae to ensure regulatory compliance
- Communicate with TPM manufacturing and process engineering to resolve any production issues and cultivate productive working relationships
- Consistently demonstrate good lab practices with respect to raw materials, components, equipment, lab techniques and ensuring clean, safe, neat, organized work/storage areas.
- Knowledgeable of OTC requirements for AP’s
- Travel to TPM’s as required for piloting or problem resolution
- Research outside resources to find new partnerships in AP/Deo technology
- Interact with internal consumer insight group to develop consumer centric innovation
- Quarterly field assessments of competitor launches will also be required as a tool for driving new/blockbuster technology and claims innovation.
- To develop blockbuster, innovative AP/Deo products
- Review product development requests with supervisor to thoroughly understand project requirements and corporate goals
- Demonstrate sound project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects
- Willingness to accept guidance and direction from more experienced chemists and from senior management Working knowledge/experience in the formulation of AP and Deo, primarily aerosols and roll ons
- College degree in chemistry, biology or other science related degree
- 10-15 years’ experience in developing AP/Deo products with a successful track record of launching innovative products
- Team player with ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and good oral and written communication skills
- Strong background working with consumer testing and claims innovation is preferred
- Working knowledge/experience in aerosol regulations
- Minimum education BS in chemistry or related sciences (ie. biology, etc...), Masters Preferred
- Proven track record of developing innovative products in this category, consumer centric innovation
- Assigned patents to candidate a plus