Position Summary Information
NOVA SySTEMic is Northern Virginia Community College’s STEM outreach program. We’re passionate about developing a pipeline of student-centered activities from elementary school to career, building the STEM workforce of the future in the process.
This position will develop, manage and coordinate programs at NOVA’s Fab Lab located at Manassas’ Battleview Technology Center.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Facilitates and coordinates programming at all grade levels and ages.
• Coordinates activities, such as summer STEM camps, career exploration opportunities, community EXPOs, workshops involving the portable Fab Lab as well as on-site programs.
• Coordinates professional development and engagement of NOVA faculty and staff.
• Supports NOVA area school divisions in the world of making and fabrication through student and teacher programs.
• Plan, implement and assess outreach events and Fab Lab programs.
• Recruit program participants and volunteer for NOVA SySTEMic activities and community STEM related events.
•Training and Recruitment of wage employees and volunteers to maintain Fab Lab Operations.
• Supervision of lab , team members and students
Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM or related field, or equivalent applicable experience or training. Previous experience in many areas of fabrication laboratory and maintenance, experience with development of policies and procedures , some experience with budgeting and data tracking, some experience with planning and coordinating STEM activities. Supervisory ,training and outreach /recruitment experience.
Master’’s Degree in a STEM or related field, or equivalent applicable experience or training.Previous experience teaching/coordinating/managing a Maker space or fabrication laboratory.
Previous experience with planning and coordinating STEM activities. Previous experience coordinating programs involving teachers and community groups.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of fabrication techniqes and educational programming that includes but is not limited to engineering, robotics, programming, CAD, 3D printing, woodworking and/or fabrication skills.
• Knowledge of budgeting, data tracking, equipment inventory and equipment maintenance.
• Excellent Planning/coordination of partnership activities skills
•Ability to work independently and as part of a team
•Ability to Interact and maintain productive relationships with students, faculty, corporations and community agencies
• Excellent presentation and strong organizational skills;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to train , supervise and direct team members
Operation of a State Vehicle
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is funded with non-continuous or non-recurring funding and is subject to continuation based on fiscal year funds and the needs of the college.
Background Check Statement
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive criminal background
investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of
education, credit checks (relevant to employment), and other checks requested by the VCCS and NOVA such as
I-9 and E-Verify requirements. Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s
Statement of Economic Interest.