Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Santa Clara, California currently has an opportunity for a Senior Scientist – 2nd Shift.
Hours of 2nd shift are 3:30pm – 12:00am PT; training will be held during day shift.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Senior Scientist – 2nd shift conceives,plans,designs,and conducts advanced independent research. Investigates and develops new procedures. Direction provided by project goals and experimental design. May act as project leader,lead scientist,or independent reviewer. Provides technical direction and feedback to others. Interacts with other groups and shares information,participates in team activities. The incumbent is responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Performs daily routines such as quality control, maintenance and other related tasks on hematology analyzers.
- Develops and executes CLSI based test protocols.
- Understands and consistently follows documented procedures.
- Determines priorities for experiments.
- Applies quantitative methods: analyzes data,evaluates results,forms conclusions,and provides/implements process or document improvements.
- Works closely with statisticians ensuring test strategies meet sampling plan requirements for proper data analysis
- Conceives,plans,designs,and conducts avanced independent research.
- Investigates and develops new procedures.
- Direction provided by project goals and experimental design.
- May act as project leader,lead scientist,or independent reviewer.
- Provides technical direction and feedback to others.
- Interacts with other groups and shares information,participates in team activities.
- Independently designs and executes a series of experiments to test hypotheses related to project outcomes.
- Applies advance scientific knowledge to projects.
- Utilizes DOE where appropriate.
- May assist in the design of experiments for others.
- Identifies technical alternatives from literature review.
- Applies basic computer skills (includes word processing,spreadsheets,instrumentation-related and Abbott network systems). Produces reports and documents utilizing advanced writing skills.
- Utilizes multiple analytical instruments,trains others in their operation.
- Recognizes and resolves technical problems. Prepares results of projects internally and may present externally.
- Reviews,evaluates,and critiques presentations for others.
- Presents complex technical data to large and diverse groups.
- Utilizes thorough technical and theoretical understanding of relevant techniques. Trains others on the theoretical and practical basis of techniques,processes,and assays.
- Participates in project planning,updates,and process improvements.
- May generate new product ideas consistent with division strategy.
- Implements new ideas or potential solutions without prompting; does not wait for others to take action or request action.
- Prepares and aligns goals with manager's goals.
- May coach lower-level scientists (e.g.,presentation skills,negotiation skills,decision-making,and contingency planning). Influences decision-making through negotiation,addressing conflict,and by building (productive) working relationships across functional areas.,Participate in technology teams.
- Develop and maintain internal and external customer contacts to maintain technical knowledge as required to accomplish objectives.Evaluates data using various appropriate analytical methodologies to achieve results.
- Integrates data from multiple sources and identifies critical process variables.Establishes and reviews complex plans for multiple projects or activities.
- Plans resource allocation and distribution.
- Identifies contingency plans. Implements project plans comprehending resource,budget,facility,and regulatory requirements to meet project goals.
- Works on improvement and development of new planning processes.Maintains appropriate documentation so that information and materials are traceable and processes are transferable.
- Modifies work procedures to meet current ADD quality and regulatory requirements.
- Establishes and uses appropriate metrics to measure progress toward meeting quality standards and to enable early identification and correction of gaps.,Tries to understand changes in work tasks,situations,and environment as well as the logic or basis for change.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics.
- Ph.D. in a life or physical science with 2+ years research or industrial experience, Or B.S./M.S. degree with 2+ years of research or industrial experience
- Hematology lab experience with emphasis on contriving whole blood specimens preferred
- Experience in a clinical laboratory setting maintaining and running diagnostic medical equipment preferred
- Experience planning and executing verification activities preferred
- Experience with statistical planning and analysis preferred
- CLS or MLT (ASCP) licensed preferred
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.