SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The GLP Chemist will be responsible for the analysis of laboratory tests to determine chemical characteristics of agricultural input or product.
• Assist with method development projects on new/proprietary and known active ingredients.
• Able to perform sample processing on a wide range of soil types and crops. This would require the use of grinding and blending equipment, as well as their cleaning, maintenance and documentation.
• Weighing out samples for analysis, utilizing all appropriate facility logs and records throughout the sample preparation process.
• Able to perform analytical method extractions for a variety of different fungicides, herbicides and insecticides. This includes, but not limited to, simple solvent extractions, liquid-liquid partitions, solid phase extraction, QuEChERS-based extractions and derivatization.
• Assist the GLP Supervisor, as well as Senior and other GLP Chemists, in developing, validating and implementing wet chemistry and instrumental methods of analysis for GLP procedures. The specific responsibilities include:
• Possess the ability to effectively problem solve, especially with regards to analytical chemistry techniques.
• Calibrate laboratory instruments to specified technical requirements.
• Perform extractions using standard industry methods along with methods developed in house.
• Perform data analysis and evaluate calibration, quality control, and sample results.
• Record and report test results utilizing prescribed data reporting methodology.
• Prepare chemical solutions according to standard formulas.
• Ensure laboratory area and equipment is cleaned and organized.
• Ensure quality and confidentiality of client and company information and take an active role in updating Quality System.
• Maintain quality protocols for testing area and implement preventative practices.
• Assist in other areas of the company as needed.
• Promote responsibility, good work habits, a positive work environment and improve customer service.
- At all times, comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct.
• B.S. in Chemistry, Biology, or other physical sciences, is required.
• Must be GLP trained or become trained immediately upon hiring.
• Analytical laboratory experience is required.
• Experience with instrumentation, such as HPLC-MS/MS or GC-MS/MS is preferred.
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to gather and review resources and select and synthesize data for reports and other written materials.
• Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
• Excellent analytical skills with the ability to make sound suggestions or recommendations.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills needed to balance multiple projects and changing priorities.
• Ability to display a strong sense of urgency and good judgment.
• Demonstrate strong commitment to SGS HSE Policies, Procedures, and Work Instructions by participating in safety meetings, completing required training, intervening in unsafe situations, refusing unsafe work, and complying fully with all applicable laws and regulations related to HSE.
• Respond appropriately to emergency situations and assists other staff members in maintaining readiness to respond to emergencies within the workplace.
• In accordance with the SGS HSE Management System requirements, dispose of, or direct the disposal of waste generated as part of daily work performed in a safe manner and in compliance with all waste transportation and disposal regulations and requirements.
• Report all incidents (actual incidents and near misses) in accordance with the SGS Incident Reporting requirements.
• Use all equipment (including safety equipment) in the manner intended and report any damaged/lost equipment to supervisor.
• Maintain a safe and tidy worksite.
• Maintain awareness of hazards and propose controls to supervisor, HSE Representatives or relevant client/site contact.
• Actively participates in incident investigations and risk assessments as deemed necessary by SGS management.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.