Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master's degree with major in science or equivalent relevant industrial experience
- 2-5 years of relevant industry experience
- Exposure to a laboratory environment
- Computer training in the use of standard office software applications and databases
Shift: Standard 8
Research Scientist II - DMPK in Rensselaer, NY
Albany Molecular Research Inc. provides global contract research and manufacturing services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
The Research Scientist II is expected to assist in a variety of laboratory procedures in the area of DMPK. The scientist is expected to have an understanding of both the theoretical and practical aspects of biology, biochemistry, and chemistry as well as demonstrate independence on performance of routine tasks. The scientist is expected to demonstrate aptitude in a wide range of in vitro biochemical assays, sample processing, and analytical tools.
Another key role of the scientist is to perform operations which aid in maximizing the research productivity of the laboratory staff. Day to day functions include maintaining laboratories, cleaning glassware, ordering and stocking supplies, as well as waste disposal. A major component in the scientist’s performance rating will be based on productivity, teamwork and cooperation.
- Conduct routine in vitro DMPK assays in an accurate and efficient manner, including incubations, sample processing, analysis, calculation of results, and reporting.
- Assist other scientists in performing in vitro DMPK and bioanalytical assays and be able to work in a group environment.
- Prepare solvents, buffers, and stock solutions of compounds and substrates under the supervision of other scientists.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of commonly used spectroscopic and chromatographic techniques.
- Keep accurate, legible and complete records of all experiments and observations. Record all appropriate data electronically in AMRI’s databases.
- Submit complete, documented, and legible reports of testing. Ensure that data is properly filed and accessible for review in accordance with appropriate SOP’s.
- Routinely discuss the status of assigned projects and potential problems with supervisor. Communicate orally and in writing unexpected occurrences which could adversely affect established timetables.
- Maintain the laboratory and laboratory instruments and equipment in a clean, organized, and orderly manner. Responsible for washing, cleaning, drying, and putting away glassware in pre-assigned locations as directed by the scientific staff.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner. Maintain familiarity with the Chemical Hygiene Plan. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices. Follow requirements regarding chemical and biological disposal. Maintain compliance with all regulations at the federal, state, and local levels, as well as all appropriate SOP’s.
- Organize work time so that multiple activities run concurrently. Use time efficiently to accomplish immediate task and perform other needed activities. Manage workload and time to perform multiple projects effectively, and ensure all necessary paperwork is completed on a timely basis.
- Help monitor the latest developments in specific areas of technical responsibility, and recommend and implement methods to increase the quality of products and services.
- Participate in professional development activities and training of others.