Intertek, a leading provider of ATIC (Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification) Services, is looking for a Senior Chemist to join our Hardlines team in Arlington Heights, IL.
The Hardlines teams serves several industries, including food, furniture, home décor, housewears, sporting goods, and toys. Through assurance, testing, inspection and certification services, Intertek helps build, enhance, and protect their brands.
The Senior Chemist will support the Hardlines business by being responsible for the performing, developing, validating, completing, recording, and reporting of routine testing and the managing of projects with an emphasis on process monitoring and improvement. As a senior chemist, the individual is expected to have an experienced background in analytical analysis and instrument use. The position will also be responsible for developing methods with a focus in food contact testing. We’re looking for someone with a working knowledge of the principles and practices of laboratory systems.
- Develop and validate methods for food contact testing, efficiently and effectively communicate progress with management
- Implement new methods within the established deadlines.
- Perform spectrophotometry, chromatography, wet-chemistry, microscopic and/or fiber-chemistry analyses to generate accurate, repeatable and reliable results including interpretation beyond simple library comparison, tests development, and set-up.
- Digest and extract samples while safely handling chemicals.
- Schedule and manage tests to meet project deadlines.
- Improve efficiency in laboratory processes to optimize turnaround time. Maintain and update internal procedures and standard test methods.
- Implement new capabilities and improve current methodologies. Perform method development and validation.
- Effectively communicate issues with customer service and registration/coordination in a timely manner.
- Review and release results ensuring traceability and correctness.
- Ensure instruments and equipment is in working order. Schedule maintenance with service providers.
- Perform testing according to the standard operating procedure with no deviations.
- Ensure all testing is compliant with industry standards.
- Responsible for training of technicians and junior chemists and the monitoring of their overall performance.
- Act as a mentor to the lower level chemists and technicians. Provide direction in proper testing and procedure.
- Responsible for meeting all quality requirements as stated in the Laboratory Quality Manual.
- Ensure proper implementation, validation, and utilization of new procedures.
- Responsible for all equipment, software, supplies, area efficiency, productivity, and development.
- Responsible for delivering on the needs of the customer.
- Assist management with his/her duties as needed.
- Responsible for housekeeping within assigned area and the cleaning of glassware.
- Responsible for company/divisional safety rules and the adherence to wearing the proper PPE.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or related science field with 8+ years direct experience or Master’s Degree or higher with 5+ years direct experience.
- Experience in developing methods and writing procedures.
- Experience in food contact testing is a plus.
- 2+ years of leadership experience in the laboratory setting.
- Ability to independently operate advanced instrumentation in liquid chromatography, gas chromatography, and/or inductively coupled plasma spectroscopy and their corresponding operational software.
- Proven trouble shooting skills in instrumentation and broad knowledge of different instruments.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of laboratory systems.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively in both verbal and written format
- Ability to remain flexible with work schedule, including working varying shifts and / or overtime as business needs dictate.
- Physical dexterity to operate equipment and perform the technical and clerical functions necessary to effectively and efficiently perform the duties of the job. This may include: bending/stooping, turning/twisting, reaching, balancing, and mobility to travel to other work sites. Must be able to carry up to 50 pounds.
- MS Office proficiency.
A career with Intertek means joining a global network of professionals dedicated to bringing quality and safety to life. Our vision is to become the world’s most trusted partner for Quality Assurance and we offer our employees the chance to make an impact with attractive growth opportunities in this industry on a global scale.
We offer a salary and benefit package competitively placed within the local market, including medical,dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and more.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veterans status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Intertek is a drug-free workplace. As a condition of employment, all hires are required to pass apre-employment drug test.