Ensure testing is properly performed, and applicable regulatory standards are met. Responsible for ensuring that the laboratory implements testing while consistently providing accurate and reliable patient test results.
- Review, approve, and sign-out reports for a variety of clinical molecular/cytogenetic and/or oncologic results, including NIPT, carrier screening, PGD/PGS, products of conception and oncology testing on platforms including SNP array analysis, NGS, and other methodologies.
- Oversee the review of genetic and CNV variant data: interpret NGS and microarray results in the context of medical literature, online variant databases and other references along with relevant patient demographic data.
- Provide clinical and technical support for genetic counselors and other laboratory personnel.
- Set standards for laboratory testing and acceptable levels of analytic performance and ensure these are maintained.
- Analyze lab data, contribute to or write publications for high-quality scientific journals.
- May serve as Technical Supervisor. The Technical Supervisor is responsible for ensuring:
- Appropriate test method selection;
- Adequate method verification to determine the accuracy and precision of the test;
- Enrollment of the laboratory in a CMS-approved proficiency testing (PT) program for the test performed;
- PT samples are tested in accordance with the CLIA requirements;
- PT results are returned within the time frames established by the PT program;
- PT reports are reviewed by the appropriate staff;
- Corrective action plans are followed when PT results are found to be unacceptable or unsatisfactory
- Quality assessment and quality control programs are established and maintained;
- Acceptable analytical test performance is established and maintained for each test system;
- Remedial actions are taken and documented when significant deviations from the laboratory’s established performance characteristics are identified, and patient test results are reported only when the system is functioning properly;
- Personnel have been appropriately trained and demonstrate competency prior to testing patient specimens
- Policies and procedures are established for monitoring personnel competency in all phases (preanalytic, analytic, and postanalytic) of testing to assure the ongoing competency of all individuals who perform testing;
- Remedial training or continuing education needs are identified, and training provided; and an approved procedure manual is available to all personnel.
- Manage a team. Review and approve assigned work; mentor and develop personnel, including dedicated succession planning and contingency management.
- This role works with PHI on a regular basis both in paper and electronic form and has a access to various technologies to access PHI (paper and electronic) in order to perform the job.
- Employee must complete training relating to HIPAA/PHI privacy, General Policies and Procedure Compliance training and security training as soon as possible but not later than the first 30 days of hire.
- Employee must pass post offer criminal background check.
- MD/DO and/or PhD in genetics or related field required.
- Current California laboratory director license as a Clinical Genetic Molecular Biologist or Clinical Cytogeneticist required.
- ABMGG board-certified in Clinical Cytogenetics and/or Molecular Genetics, ABP board-certified in Molecular Genetic Pathology or equivalent doctoral-level board preferred.
- Current Certificate of Qualification in Genetic Testing from the NYS CLEP preferred.
- 2 or more years of experience in a CLIA-certified clinical laboratory setting analyzing, interpreting and reporting clinical genetic/genomic data.
- Knowledge of CAP, CLIA, California, and New York state regulations.
- Management experience required.
If you feel like you would be a good fit for this position, please email your resume to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
Apex is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at 844-463-6178.