SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
Looking for an opportunity in the last frontier?
SGS Alaska Division has been the leading full service environmental laboratory in Alaska for over 50 years. We understand the importance of employing qualified, enthusiastic, resourceful people. Our Alaska operation supports a 60 person staff. SGS Anchorage is a full service, ISO accredited laboratory analyzing a variety of matrices for environmental pollutants. Our clients are those that report to government regulatory agencies and private individuals.
We have a position open for a full time seasonal employee with a potential career path in our organization. Participation in or completion of a Bachelor degree in science is preferred.
The useful candidate will have the opportunities to join one of the following areas:
- Waters Lab: This lab does the inorganic wet bench chemistry on a wide variety of waters testing for pH, turbidity, alkalinity, nitrates, cyanides , etc.
- Metals Prep Lab: This lab digests soil, water, & oil samples for metals analysis by ICP/MS. of approved protocols. Digestion requires working with acids.
- Organic Prep Lab: This lab extracts soil, water & oil samples for organic contaminates. The extraction procedure uses methylene chloride as a solvent. That solvent is then concentrated for analysis by GC & GC/MS.
- Weigh Room: This is where all soil samples are weighed for all of the analyses required of that sample including the % solid analysis.
- Sample Receiving / Front Desk: Receiving personnel interact with clients to verify that appropriate procedures have been followed and enter the sample data into the laboratory information management system.
- Emphasis will be placed on the SGS Orientation & General Training Program. This program consists of individual training modules highlighting our laboratory’s safety, key principles and quality systems.
Teamwork, flexibility, and a willingness to work overtime hours when workload requires. Participation in a bachelor’s degree program in a science is required (chemistry preferred).
Requires an individual who is highly organized, meticulous in technique and attention to detail, ability to prioritize, computer database aptitude and accurate data entry are a must.
This is a temporary position.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.