The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 4 years of practical scientific experience in performing the responsibilities listed above; or 2 years’ experience practical experience if possessing master’s degree in a relevant discipline. In addition, the candidate will have:
• Demonstrated experience in support of Department of Defense or EPA programs, or state projects.
• Environmental experience in site investigation remedial design, practical field experience implementing site characterization and remediation technologies.
• Experience working in an analytical laboratory and supporting field projects under federal and state regulatory programs.
• Strong analytical, organizational, client management, and communication skills (both written and verbal).
• Be highly motivated, customer focused and work well in a team environment.
• Experience using computer software including word processing, spread sheet, and data base programs is required,
• 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER trained.
• Experience with radionuclide chemistry is preferred.
• Strong interpersonal, communication and project management skills are required.
• Proficiency with MS Word and Excel required.
• B.S. in Chemistry or related field. MS degree is a plus.
• Communication Skills - Must demonstrate technical writing/editing ability of technical reports, professional and team-oriented work environment, good interpersonal communication and oral presentation skills, and exceptional attention to details, planning and organizing, and quality required.
• Computer Skills - Must be computer literate and have a strong working knowledge of MS Office programs and ability to use statistical programs, and database management.
• Language Skills – Ability to read and interpret documents such as government regulations, safety plans, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customer or employees of organization.
• Mathematical Skills – Knowledge of advanced mathematics used for technical analyses and calculations.
• Reasoning Ability – Analytical approach to problem solving. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Please note, this position requires you to drive on a regular basis and will require passing a motor vehicle record (MVR) background check. In addition, this position requires a background check and due to the possibility of being able to enter secure DOD facilities, you must be a U.S. citizen.
The work involves both office and field environments. Field work is anticipated to be in remote areas, in a variety of topography and you may be exposed to various weather conditions during all seasons. You must be able to carry field equipment (35 to 40 pounds) and don personal protective gear as needed. This position requires roughly 15% travel and varies based on project requirements; may include weekend travel and work. The candidate may perform field work where heavy lifting of field sampling and other equipment will be required. Candidate must also meet physical demands of hazardous waste site work.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.tetratech.com. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our website at www.tetratech.com/careers.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Tetra Tech is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability - No calls or agencies
Tetra Tech Inc. is currently seeking a full-time Environmental Chemist for either our Oakland, CA or Rancho Cordova, CA office.
We are looking for an individual with a strong technical background in environmental chemistry including data validation. The selected candidate will support site investigation and remediation as a project chemist. This position is for those interested in career growth while managing and supporting a variety of environmental projects. The selected candidate will also:
• Evaluate, select, and apply standard scientific methods that follow the CERCLA process for hazardous waste site assessment and response actions. Follow established U.S. EPA models for site assessments.
• Prepare environmental documents such as; sample and analysis plans, quality assurance project plans, data validation reports, quality assurance summary reports, site investigation reports, etc.
• Support Army, Navy and EPA quality requirements for chemical data.
• Communicate with analytical laboratories to procure the laboratories, set-up the sampling request, and be the point of contact with the analytical laboratories.
• Perform preliminary site assessments, site inspections, and expanded site inspections on sites with radionuclide and non-radioactive hazardous substances.
• Recommend adaptations and modifications of scientific or engineering methods using independent judgment.
• Execute assignments that have clear and specific objectives and require the investigation of a limited number of variables.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting and engineering services differentiated by Leading with Science in providing innovative technical solutions to our clients. We support global commercial and government clients focused on water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. With 17,000 associates worldwide, Tetra Tech provides clear solutions to complex problems. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer.