DO WORK THAT MATTERS
At Abbott, diverse ideas, perspectives, and expertise allow us to create life-changing solutions that help people live healthier lives. In 150 countries and with businesses spanning nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices, and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott offers you enormous opportunities to explore your interests and help you achieve your career and personal goals. We have an exciting opportunity for a Scientist (Product Development) within our Abbott Rapid Diagnostics business located at Scarborough, Maine. In this role, you will contribute to the design and development of new single use In-Vitro Diagnostic (IVD) tests from Feasibility to Commercialization.
The Scientist, Product Development is a laboratory role. This hands-on position will focus on lateral flow product development from feasibility through launch. The incumbent plays a critical role for the successful commercialization of products. Abbott Rapid Diagnostics (formerly Alere) is part of Abbott’s Diagnostics family of businesses, bringing together exceptional teams of experts and industry-leading technologies to support diagnostic testing which provides important information for treatment and management of diseases and other conditions.
- Correlates work and comprehends the relation of the problem to a larger one.
- Writes reports
- Undertakes new procedures, observing proper safety precautions.
- Works in a multi-disciplinary team with other scientists
- Investigates problem areas and areas of desirable product improvement.
- Conducts test protocols, procedures, and product evaluations.
- Transfers new technologies and products to Operations.
- Documents development work, writing technical reports and cost estimates.
- Provides product claim substantiation to ensure efficacy and safety of new and existing
- Keeps up to date with best practice in science and manufacturing.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with knowledge in a particular field of the biological or physical sciences, or mathematics with previous industry /diagnostic experience.
- Typically with at least 3 years of progressively responsible positions.
- Practical laboratory skills
- Ability in mathematics and computer literacy
- Good communication skills, capable of communicating ideas to colleagues and
- Problem-solving skills combined with analytical skills and good attention to detail
- Project management skills and good organizational skills
- Knowledge of business systems
- Understanding of the commercial value of the work
- Good knowledge of science and the ability to apply basic principles and techniques
At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in
nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
An equal opportunity employer, Abbott welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.