Responsible for accurately handling and processing all laboratory specimens, ensuring specimen integrity by adhering to laboratory procedures. Serves as a resource for specimen and testing information. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures to include department programs, quality control, quality assurance, and safety.
Utilizes technical skills and abilities to accurately handle and process specimens.
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen processing
- Correctly identifies proper tubes, containers, transport media and storage temperature for each test type.
- Determines specimen acceptability, consulting with specimen processing supervisor, technologist, or pathologist as needed taking appropriate action when necessary.
Utilizes job knowledge, judgment, and problem solving skills to ensure quality
- Utilizes appropriate resources to answer inquiries for basic customer related issues.
- Utilizes appropriate resources for proper specimen processing
- Understands and follows all safety, infection control, and OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen guidelines.
- Participates in departmental quality assurance programs.
- Participates in departmental training programs
Utilizes job knowledge, judgment and problem solving skills to ensure quality of work.
- Accurately enters all required information presented on CPL or client specific requisitions into the laboratory information system.
- Understands and recognizes laboratory information system alerts and flags and takes the appropriate actions.
- Recognizes when information presented on requisitions is unclear and ambiguous and knows and follows corrective actions to be taken.
- Participates in departmental quality assurance practices.
- May act as a resource to others who require assistance/training.
- Follows all departmental policies and procedures related to data entry
- Recognizes personal limitations and seeks guidance from supervisors or managers when needed.
Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion in a designated time frame
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Minimum – training or experience in specimen collection and/or processing
Preferred – two years of laboratory training or experience in specimen collection and processing
Skills: Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the laboratory and with laboratory clients. Ability to read and write.
Must be able to successfully complete pre-employment background check and drug screen, EOE.