At GenMark, our work atmosphere is dynamic, fast-paced, and patient-focused. Working at GenMark is an opportunity to learn and grow within a quickly expanding company utilizing cutting edge technologies. GenMark's proprietary eSensor detection technology combined with GenMark's eSensor XT-8 system and ePlex sample-to-answer systems are designed to support a broad range of molecular diagnostic tests with a compact, easy-to-use workstation and self-contained, disposable test cartridges.
As a part of the Microbiology team, the Microbiologist – Team Lead will serve as a hands-on team lead in support of assay development activities. The Company recently achieved CE Mark and is on the cusp of launching our new ePlex system in the US. This role is a unique career opportunity to leverage your background and skills in microbiology to develop, perform, evaluate, and monitor microbiology functions as part of this support group within Research and Development. This role will require a candidate who is a hands-on scientist in the lab with the ability to manage junior associates and work cross functionally with various departments throughout the organization.
Position Responsibilities and Requirements
Education/Years of Experience
- B.S./M.S./Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, or a related field
- 10+ years of relevant microbiology laboratory experience. Ideally has worked in a diagnostics laboratory or a University core facility with management experience
- Perform growth and analysis of bacterial samples in accordance with predefined methods and/or protocols
- Generate and document accurate and precise records for all analytical procedures performed
- Prepare and maintain microbial culture collections of Glycerol Stocks and QC testing of materials for use within the Microbiology Laboratory
- Generate and create bacterial inventory into Freezerworks System
- Set up equipment and materials needed for analysis
- Ensure all laboratory analysis is carried out in a safe, efficient, and timely manner
- Maintain excellent levels of housekeeping, safety and environmental standards within the laboratory
- Manage small team in microbiology group
- Ability to use broad knowledge of microbiological testing and analysis methodologies to complete complex assignments
- Demonstrated understanding of reproducible defined growth requirements for a variety of organisms
- Proven experience in the development of methods of microbial characterization and detection using modern molecular biology techniques as well as advanced biochemical analyses of microorganisms
- Possess analytical skills required to complete analysis procedures and determine the concentration and purity of various microorganisms
- Applicable knowledge of laboratory safety procedures and policies to ensure a safe working environment
- Established technical expertise; serves as a resource to other groups
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of documents, including data summaries, reports, SOPs, and procedures
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize, and handle multiple changing projects and priorities
- Proven record of technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and collaborations with cross-functional teams
- Proven ability to lead and provide work direction to junior associates.