Animal Research Technician – Large Animal – Coon Rapids, MN
Kelly Scientific Resources is currently seeking candidates for an Animal Research Technician for one of our top clients in Coon Rapids, MN. This is a temp-to-hire position with a rotating 1st shift schedule and rotating weekends. This position does require occasional late night/overnight shifts, typically with 1-2 weeks notice.
As an Animal Research Technician placed with Kelly Scientific Resources, you will provides care for laboratory animals before and after surgical procedures, including ongoing monitoring, data collection and providing for their basic needs. The person in this role facilitates the execution of client sponsored preclinical research from pre-initiation to study completion specializing in the care of large animals and interventional/surgical studies.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains knowledge of applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in order to successfully perform job duties, and GLP regulations in order to implement appropriate regulations as they apply to the non-clinical research environment and individual protocols.
- Dispenses medications as prescribed by veterinarian and/or protocol specifications.
- Performs and documents a variety of activities, including but not limited to, routine clinical observations, charting of physiological data and animal health status, taking study-required animal weights, documentation of maintenance medicine administration, etc.
- Assists with procedure preparation by administering start-up medications, monitoring the fasting of animals, and performing pre-procedure animal weights and clinical observations.
- Monitors animals during their initial post-operative recovery, and during their critical recovery phase on the days following surgery, including performing TPRs (temp, pulse, respiration), auscultation of the heart and lungs, assessing pain of animals at incision sites, changing wound dressings and administering medications.
- Performs intravenous blood draws.
- Performs preventive health maintenance such as administering maintenance medications, administering anthelmintics and vaccinations, ointment applications, hoof and nail trims including sedation as needed, bathing and ear cleaning.
- Performs all aspects of veterinary care and general husbandry procedures according to established procedures, guidelines and study protocols that meet the acceptable criteria of the veterinarian.
- Communicates with veterinary staff, supervisor, and study directors regarding living conditions and medical status of animals.
- Assists with training newer large animal research technicians.
- Assists with other duties as assigned.
- Associate or Bachelor degree in related veterinary field (Animal Science, Veterinary Technology or Biology) or the LAT certification is required. A Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT) certification is desirable but not required.
- 1+ year(s) of directly related experience.
- Knowledge of research animal physiology, pharmacology, and general animal care required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience with spreadsheet software and Microsoft Outlook
- Ability to regularly stand, walk, use hands, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds with assistance. The employee may be required to view computer monitors and stand for extended periods of time.
As a Kelly Services employee, you will have access to numerous perks, including:
- Exposure to a variety of career opportunities as a result of our expansive network of client companies
- Career guides, information and tools to help you successfully position yourself throughout every stage of your career
- Access to more than 3,000 online training courses through our Kelly Learning Center
- Weekly pay and service bonus plans
- Group- rate insurance options available immediately upon hire*
•Available for purchase and administered by a designated third-party vendor
With Kelly, you’ll have access to some of the world’s highest-regarded scientific organizations—providing you with opportunities to work on today’s most challenging, research-intensive, and relevant projects. Our connections can lead you to innovative scientific pursuits you’ll be proud to help advance. We work with 95 of the Fortune 100™ companies, and found opportunities for more than 11,000 scientific professionals last year.
You pursued a career in science to fuel your quest for knowledge and your desire to make the world a better place. Let Kelly fuel your career—connect with us today.
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to directly employ nearly 500,000 people around the world and have a role in connecting thousands more with work through our global network of talent suppliers and partners. Revenue in 2016 was $5.3 billion. Visit kellyservices.com and connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.