A career with us is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
We seek a highly motivated and rigorous scientist to lead scientific intelligence efforts within the Immuno-Oncology (IO) Translational Innovation Platform (TIP), based in Billerica, MA. This scientist will report to the VP, Head of IO Discovery Research and the SVP, Global Head of IO TIP, to support the strategic direction of the therapeutic area and help the IO TIP maintain up-to-date knowledge in the developments in the immuno-oncology research space and assist in developing external academic collaborations. The individual will also work with other members of the IO leadership to achieve these goals.
Your role & key responsibilities:
- Work with IO leadership to develop strategies around new targets based on the current literature and movement in the IO field aligned with current IO strategy at EMD Serono. This includes working with the key scientists and experts in the IO TIP (or across other R&D functions, as needed) within specific research areas to write position papers or short reviews on potential new IO targets clearly articulating the opportunities, strengths, and challenges associated with a given target. These papers will be part of the basis for new target decision-making
- Work with EMD Serono’s External Innovation (EI) group on assessing new molecular target partnering opportunities with EI representative under guidance from the IO TIP senior leadership (SVP and VP)
- Survey the pre-clinical and clinical scientific literature on key areas in immune-oncology of relevance to EMD Serono’s IO portfolio, as directed by the IO TIP senior leadership (SVP and VP)
- Periodically present literature overviews in white papers or slide presentations on recent developments in key IO areas to the TIP in general meetings. For example, specific near term deliverables will include white papers on targets for bi-specific molecule and targeting the stromal compartment
- Participate in new target selection by the IO TIP within a new cross-functional team within the TIP in collaboration with other EMD Serono functions
- Attend key scientific conferences relating to immuno-oncology and write meeting reports
- Survey work across major academic and translational oncology centers in the world and keeping a database of these sites to identify relevant investigators performing research relevant to the IONC TIP’s priorities that can be a source for potential external collaborations
- Help VP and SVP of IO interact with external scientific information management/analysis CROs
Who you are:
- PhD, MD, or PhD/MD degree in a relevant scientific field preferred (e.g. cancer immunology, cancer biology, immunology, pathology, molecular biology, molecular oncology, immunology)
- A minimum of 5-10 years post-doctoral experience in drug discovery and/or translational research
- Experience in oncology drug discovery and development required
- Experienced in target review and delivering target review presentations
- Entrepreneurial outlook embracing novel science while maintaining realism in the context of drug discovery and development requirements and timelines
- Ability to evaluate and apply scientific rigor to review of scientific literature and external presentations especially in the context of new targets
- Experience in delivering and presenting high quality reports on external landscape and the state of the translational research in specific areas
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and constructively with teams and individual colleagues
- Experience in engaging external scientific experts in addressing drug discovery and translational issues and in evaluation of novel targets
- Able to distill complex issues and clearly articulate innovative solutions
- Ability to demonstrate effectiveness and growth in a fast-paced and dynamic team environment
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.
EMD Serono is a division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt Germany.