· BS, MS, or PhD in Protein Chemistry (or equivalent i.e. Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry Biophysics, Pharmaceutical Sciences) with 5+ (BS), 1+ (MS), or 0 (PhD) years biopharmaceutical industry preferred.
· Hands on experience in protein biochemical/biophysical characterization and formulation development. Solid knowledge of protein biophysical stability and formulation design.
· Expertise in protein biophysical/biochemical characterization, including HPLC (SEC, CEX, HIC), DSC, UV-vis, fluorescence spectroscopy and icIEF.
· Must be willing and able to learn new technologies as needed.
· A highly responsible and self-motivated team player with good written and communication skills.
Job Title: Associate Scientist III
Duration: 06+ Months
Location: Worcester, MA, 01604
· Protein Characterization and Formulation Development
· Conduct laboratory-based analytical chemistry and formulation research activities with protein-based drug candidates.
· Conduct experiments to evaluate physicochemical properties of new biologic entities (antibodies, bispecific antibodies, antibody drug conjugates, fusion proteins) to identify any liabilities that could impact drug substance and drug product development.
· Execute experimental protocols and collect results, perform data analysis.
The top 5 skills/requirements
· 1: Ability to calculate concentrations of active and secondary components convert between units and prepare solutions as needed.
· 2: Measure and calculate protein concentration given an extinction coefficient using spectrophotometry.
· Understand Beer’s Law and significance of an absorbance spectrum.
· 3: Accurately measure pH, prepare buffer solutions (see number 1).
· 4: Understand the principals of chromatography and experience with SEC method set-up and interpretation of chromatograms.
· 5: Understand how to use EXCEL to calculate solution concentrations, basic statistical calculations, preparation of graphs.
Years of experience, education, and/or certification
· Preferred degrees: Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences.
· Experience BS 2 years minimum in industry or academia; MS 0 – 2 years minimum in industry and academia. PhD would be considered but not preferred.
· Nice to have (but not required) regarding skills
· Statistical analysis (JMP); advanced analytical techniques (DSC, DSF/SLS, fluorescence, MALS etc); computational chemistry/modeling
· Independently but in a group setting