Under the supervision of a pharmacist and direction of a technician group leader or technician specialist performs a variety of technical and support tasks designed to assist pharmacists in the formulation preparation dispensing and delivery of medications and pharmaceutical supplies in accordance with established policies and procedures and in keeping with the scope of services provided and in consideration to the age of the patients being served.
Under the supervision of a pharmacist assists in the formulation and preparation of medications by:
- Reviewing Licensed Independent Practitioner medication orders and preparing medications for review and dispensing by a pharmacist.
- Performing general operations of electronic drug dispensing system (EDDS; i.e. Omnicell Pyxis) used in the inventory control and distribution of pharmaceuticals and related supplies. Including maintaining assigning refilling and removing medication including controlled substances generating and interpreting reports to perform above.
- Maintaining operating room medication inventory including controlled substances.
- Preparing intravenous admixtures up to and including chemotherapy and pediatric critical care infusions utilizing aseptic techniques in a controlled environment according to computer-generated and/or pharmacist approved formulation record including proper manipulation labeling and expiration dating. Work in United States Pharmacopoeia 797 clean room environment and in accordance with procedures of the same.
- Preparing non-sterile pharmaceutical products according to computer-generated and/or pharmacist approved formulation record including proper labeling and expiration dating.
Performs controlled substance discrepancy resolution in conjunction with other licensed health care professionals.
Participates in controlled substances inventory management in the Pharmacy and the hospital.
Delivers medications to clinic procedural treatment operating room and patient care areas. Retrieves medication orders.
Repackages and labels medications for distribution in accordance with pharmacist approved Packaging and Labeling Records.Prepares various emergency medication kits for pharmacist review and distribution to patient care areas.
Performs routine procurement and inventory management of medications including ordering and receipt of chemotherapy and other pharmaceutical supplies. Completes necessary paperwork for controlled substance procurement and verifies receipt of such.
Processes medication requisitions for departments and laboratories for pharmacist verification.
Reconciles patient and department medication charges.
Performs routine preventive maintenance to all equipment according to standards for same.
Assists in maintaining related Pharmacy records and files performing equipment calibration and maintenance.
Assists in maintaining the Pharmacy and medication supply areas in a neat and orderly fashion ensuring medications are stored under proper conditions for light temperature sanitation and segregation.
Participates in quality assessment and improvement activities and medication safety initiatives of the Pharmacy and the hospital. Utilizes approved process for reporting actual prevented and near miss medication errors.
Answers the telephone and triages as appropriate. Interacts with internal and external customers in accordance to hospital Customer Service Standards.
Assists in orientation and training of other pharmacy technicians and interns.
Other duties as assigned.
High school graduate or equivalence degree. Completion of one to two years of college preferred.
Successful completion (minimum grade = B) of a high school or college level course in algebra.
Maintains current unrestricted licensure as a pharmacy technician II in the State of Rhode Island.
Maintains current national pharmacy technician certification.
Possesses basic computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
Comparable work experience preferably in a health care related field.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
Lifespan is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race color religion sex national origin age ethnicity sexual orientation ancestry genetics gender identity or expression disability protected veteran or marital status. Lifespan is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Location: Rhode Island Hospital USA:RI:Providence
Work Type: Full Time
As Rhode Island's largest health system and private employer, Lifespan is dedicated to improving the way clinical care, medical research and education, and community services are delivered. Take the first step today to join our team of dedicated professionals.
Working at Lifespan
At Lifespan, we utilize a multidisciplinary team approach to medicine and provide the right blend of autonomy and collaboration. If you share our passion for providing the very best care in a supportive professional setting, join one of the nation’s Top 100 health systems. Lifespan is committed to clinical excellence and devoted to our mission of delivering health with care.